Authentic Chocolate Farming Tour
This half day cocoa farming tour is a great opportunity to see the Osa Peninsula from a yummy and different perspective. During the tour, you will learn the potential for environmental and cultural conservation in a certified organic farm where appropriate and sustainable land management techniques are applied.
Cocoa is the most important agricultural product for exportation, and has a significant impact on the Costa Rican economy. The climatic conditions of the country allow an optimal quality product, making Costa Rica a renowned cocoa producer.
About the Farm and its History
Owned since the 80’s, this family has used the farm for forestry, livestock, and are currently an active cocoa exporting farm. For years, they have lived out the vision creating something and generating a life.FAfter years of hard work on the farm, taking several classes all related with agriculture, and getting experience with professional farmers, gardeners and successful land owners, they finally decided to get into cacao. Since the last decade, with a lot of dedication and passion, harvesting cacao finally has been the reward of all their hard work.
The owners are continually innovating and experimenting new sustainable ways of combining different types of plantations all together. The diverse arboreal canopy provides shelters from intense sun and rain. In addition, it benefits the soil, the regeneration of the ecosystems, it provides a natural habitat for several living species and offers an additional income to this hard-working and enthusiastic family.
Many people, including indigenous and ethnic groups, live in the region and depend on nature for agriculture, clothing and traditional medicines. Most live in the villages, but an important portion of residents rely on the rainforest’s natural bounty for food, shelter and their livelihoods.Since the beginning of the pandemic in 2020, many farmers have seen a commercial opportunity with cacao and decided to start or extend productions. The farm you will visit has grown exponentially from 500 to 2700 cacao trees. Chocolate tours have been offered since 2019, and this activity has been the highlight of numerous travelers in the Osa Peninsula.
Have the chance to know this wonderful family and learn about their culture.
A Journey at the Farm
Start with a 4×4 car ride through the hearth of the Osa Peninsula. Surrounded by a majestic rainforest canopy from the highland, take a short hike to an unexpected hidden gem. Located on the top of a mountain and offering spectacular views of Corcovado National Park, the Golfo Dulce and the Pacific Ocean, this organic farm sits in a little paradise for nature lovers.
At your arrival, you will be welcomed with fresh fruits and lemonade.
Meet with the most dedicated chocolate specialists of the Osa Peninsula who will bring you on a tour of the plantation. Get the opportunity to try the flavor of different types of cacao pods, taking them right from the trees. There is a multiple variety of cacao around the World. In Costa Rica, seven types have been selected for exportation. The idea is trying them all!
- How to take care of a plantation
- How trees can produce an excessive amount of fruits without having the branches break
- How to produce rich organic compost and effective fertilizer without spending a penny
- How to properly prune trees and ways to protect big cuttings
- How to prevent diseases, to cure trees and to avoid spreading diseases to the whole plantation
This tour even goes to a higher level as you’ll even learn grafting techniques, the purpose of grafting trees and how to make a single tree produce different varieties of cacao!
Continue touring the farm and understand the purpose of having vanilla, plantains and different trees in the cacao plantation. In addition to learning the entire the entire seed to feed process of cacao farming, you will discover what can be done with the empty pods and the pulp covering the seeds. You will see firsthand how recycling, creativity and innovation have made this farm highly sustainable.
It is time to go back to the ranch after an enriching walk on your tour. You will enjoy a delicious dish made with the fresh farm ingredients followed by a chocolate fondue that will be served with fresh seasonal fruits. While enjoying the feast, your guide will be talking about the health benefits of theobromine, the compound of cacao. Then, it is time to pay attention to the different steps of making artisan chocolate from germinating seeds to eating candies and chocolate bars as some secrets will be revealed!
Get involved in the roasting and grinding of cacao elaboration. You’ll be taught the importance of a proper fermentation process and the different ways to dry seeds. After bringing the cacao liquid, mix it with some coconut oil and make yourself a facial chocolate. While drying, have a walk in the medicinal plants and herbs garden, to collect some additional ingredients that will give a unique and special flavor to your custom hand-made chocolate.
Experience an extraordinary journey in the countryside of Costa Rica, without electricity, phone or internet signal. This is an authentic cultural activity not to be missed only a few steps away from Corcovado National Park.
The perfect option for families, couples, and anyone who wants to get close to locals and has curiosity about cacao. This is so much MORE than just a normal chocolate tour!
- Certified Organic family owned Farm
- Costa Rican unique and authentic chocolate crafting experience
- Sample of all seven certified cacao types for exportation
- Full chocolate experience from crop to cup
- Artisanal chocolate available for purchase
- Costa Rica top family and groups vacation activity
- Kids of all ages are welcome
- Free for kids up to 5 years old
- Kids from 6 to 11 years old pay half price
- Only 18 km from Puerto Jiménez
- Operates year-round, 7 days a week
- Features fantastic scenery
- Local and certified chocolate specialist
- English translator (if needed)
- Peasant lunch cooked over wood fire
- Chocolate fondue and handcrafted organic cacao sample
- Complimentary drinks and fruit snack
- Facial mask workshop
- Grafting technique lesson
- Harvesting, roasting and grounding cacao
- Visit of the plantation
- Transportation (arrange for an extra fee)
The ranch provides:
- Bathroom with toilet paper
- Rustic ranch
- Rooftop area with table and seats
What to bring?
- Water bottle
- Sunblock and Insect repellent
- Raincoat or poncho (in the rainy season)
- Close-up shoes or boots
- Cap or Sunhat
Why book with us?
- Emails and phone calls answered in English, Spanish or French
- Safety experience is our priority
- Eco and sustainable tours
- Professional, experienced and certified guides
- Helping and supporting locals
- Competitive prices
- Fair cancellation policy
- No hidden fees
- Rated 5-stars on TripAdvisor
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Departure time is flexible (according to availability). Let us know the time that best accommodates you.
- Free for kids up to 5 years old.
- Children from 6 to 11 years old pay 50%
- Can accommodate groups up to 20 people at at time
- Must have a valid travel insurance
- Must advise of any particular health conditions before booking
- Must inform of food restriction before the tour: Special diet, allergy or intolerance
- Tour available all days of the year
- If you do not have a 4×4 vehicle, let us know where you need to be picked up to quote transportation.
This tour price does not include transport. Roundtrip transportation from and to your hotel is available at an extra fee.
If you have you own transportation, you will need a 4×4. We are located in the highland of Cañaza, about 18 km from Puerto Jiménez.
This tour offers a full refund when cancelled a minimum of 24 hours before departure time.