Come and join us in this authentic and unique artisanal fishing tour. Appreciate the serenity of nature and pristine landscapes while enjoying a relaxed boat ride journey. Stroll amongst entangled mangrove forests and sinuous rivers in one of Costa Rica’s most isolated areas. In this thrilling and educational eco-adventure, learn captivating facts about the natural wonders of the Golfo Dulce traveling to some of the world’s cultural heritage sites with an artisan fisherman leading along the shore.
Small-scale fishers are very important when talking about the culture and of the Osa Peninsula and Golfito. It used to be the everyday life of about one member of every local family living by the lush coastline of the Golfo Dulce. Nodaway, the gulf is the largest Marine Areas of Responsible Fishing in Central America banning shrimp trawls and gill. Regulating fishing activity in the area using sustainable fishing methods has been a great improvement to protect fish population. Ecotourism also helps the community’s livelihood, and fishermen are always happy to share fishing experiences and histories with visitors.
Learn how to prepare fishing gear such as net, lines, hooks and baits for both bottom fishing using hand held line and the trolling sport fishing style with fishing pole. Your captain will explain some traditional fishing techniques that you will be welcome to try. Among the most common species to catch in the rich fauna of mangroves, rivers and reefs are red snapper, barracuda, mackerel, snook, wahoo and roosterfish. Fish are released, but depending on your catch, you may be able to bring it to a restaurant in town and eat your catch of the day.
The four biggest rivers that pour out into the Golfo Dulce bay are Río Coto Colorado, Río Rincón, Río Tigre and Río Esquinas. In this boating excursion, your captain will calculate the tide to marvel deep into Esquinas River or Coto River. Either one is a tree-covered river brimming with shore birds, mangrove swamps and the wonder of an extraordinary dense rainforest. Keep your eyes peeled for a variety of a close-up wildlife encounter in the natural beauty of mangroves and tropical rain forest that line the coast. As you go up the river, discover a vibrant ecosystem that homes a bundle of fascinating species, including some endangered ones ranging from a variety of herons, egrets and kingfishers, monkeys, crabs, crocodiles, sloths and an array of fish.
You will make your way back across the gulf farther from the coastline and may even get the chance to see dolphins. This ecotourism on board expedition through the wonders of the fabulous Golfo Dulce help sensitize the importance of nature and its conservation while admiring a great number of sights up close and personal.
Hop on the boat and experience the Golfo Dulce traditional way of fishing while enjoying Costa Rica’s diverse flora and fauna!
- Enjoy the intimacy of a private tour
- Experience the uniqueness of the Golfo Dulce and learn about its importance in the world’s ecosystem
- Swim alongside hundred different species of fish
- Enjoy a close encounter with dolphins
- Private, local, bilingual, experienced and licensed captain/instructor/guide
- High-quality snorkeling gear and floatation devices
- Life vests for adults and children
- First-aid kit
- Complimentary drinks and fruit snacks
- Motorboat shaded by a T-Top and seating for all guests
- Bluetooth radio for streaming music of your choice
- Cooler with ice for storage of personal snacks and drinks (if required)
- Free time on a wild tropical beach (if wanted)
- On board bathrooms
- Umbrellas or any other beach materials
What to bring?
- 1 liter of water
- Sunblock and Insect repellent
- Beach towel
- Long sleeved shirt
- Sunhat or cap
- Raincoat or poncho (in the rainy season)
- Waterproof pack (for personal items)
Why book with us?
- Emails and phone calls answered in English, Spanish or French
- Safety experience is our priority
- Eco and sustainable tours
- Professional, experienced and certified guides and boat captain
- Helping and supporting locals
- Competitive prices
- Fair cancellation policy
- No hidden fees
- Rated 5-stars on TripAdvisor
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Departure time is flexible. Depending on the activities you want to realized we might suggest a time, either according to the tide, the weather or the best hour to see wildlife.
- The water is usually calm in the Golfo Dulce, but if you get seasick easily, bring sea motion pills or medications just in case.
- There is no age restriction for travelers to participate in this tour
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Must have a valid travel insurance
- Must advise of any particular health conditions before booking
- Tour available all days of the year (snorkeling is not recommended between September and November due to the poor water visibility)
- Each boat trip is customized according to the interest of the passengers. Boat trips are also private meaning you do not share your boat tour with strangers. We have different types of boats, some can fit up to 6 people others can fit larger groups up to 40 people. The price will vary depending on the boat that is available and the size of your group.
- In protected Costa Rican waters, which includes the Golfo Dulce, it is illegal for anyone but scientific researchers to swim with whales or dolphins. As a reliable tour operator, Osa Green Travel understands and respect this law and visitors should too.
- Beware of strong currents while snorkeling and swimming: stay close to sandy beach or the boat.
This tour offers roundtrip boat transportation from and to Puerto Jiménez or Golfito dock. Other shore locations may be available at an extra fee. We can help you to book hotel pick-up and drop-off if necessary.
This tour is subject to favorable weather conditions (if canceled due to poor weather, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund). If you book a boat tour between September and November, there is a higher possibility that the tour gets cancelled.